3.27.2008

lvl up!

So I got my license for motorcycle driving the other day. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, and I got to fix up an old bike with my dad. Which was cool, because I don't really get to do much with him anymore. In driving it, though, I've noticed something odd. It seems that riding has some sort of unseen masculinity magnet attached with it. Whenever some other guy riding a bike (and in one case, two dudes in a truck) sees me, they feel compelled to say something about it. It's usually something along the lines of "hey, you have a penis, me too." I've never really subscribed to the fist-pumping, high-fiving, tit-staring crowd, except in mocking. What can I say, I like to play on stereotypes. It's what I do. But in reality I'm an introverted homebody who feels odd when people want to talk with me, and the machisimo mantra never really appealed to me. I ride a bike because we don't have a second car, and gas is cheaper that way. I mean, it's a '73 Honda, not exactly a crotch rocket. I guess I feel okay about it because it's a classic bike, and it was my father's. But I really just don't get the societal rebel thing or whatever.
Oh, and don't even get me started on 'the wave.'
There is some unwritten rule in which whenever you pass someone else riding a motorcycle, you must wave. And it's not just a normal wave, it's a special wave. Two fingers, hand downward, palm out, with your left hand. There is no exception here; it MUST BE DONE. I've adopted a sort of head-tilt "'sup" response, but I've been warned that if it's not noticeable enough, there would be problems. I'm guessing that you have to body-joust, Mission Impossible 2 style.

Also, the tag agency here closes WAAAAAAAAY too early.

In other news, I am addicted to Caramelldansen. There are lots of versions, but I think I like this one best (just keep watching). The characters are based off of a text-and-notes-to-song program called Vocaloid. The last video is a polka song created with the program, and the leek is a reference to this video. There, I think that about covers the whole of it.

Also I love school papers.

No comments: